Failed Project Log - A DIY SBC


Around sometime in 2019 I was doing a lot of projects with the raspberry pi and got to thinking to myself; how hard would it be to make my own from scratch? I considered myself fairly competent with electrical theory (for a hobbyist) and had some experience in pcb fabrication. So I got to researching if any others had attempted similar feats. I quickly stummbled upon George Hiulliards linux powered business card and became so inspired I decided to give it a go myself (His write up can be found here

The Amazing SoC

For those not familiar with what a SoC (System on Chip) is, it is basically a all in one computer in a tiny singular chip. They can contain the processor, ram, flash, gpu, all in one silicon package. This makes designing a host PCB for the system much more simple compared to a traditional computer where the components are spread out across the substrate. For example, copper traces for a memory bus between the ram and cpu must be very precise lengths to prevent timing issues. With a SOC, all of this is packaged in one place and the burden is alleviated from the designer. So theoretically all we have to do is design a circuit for clean power and run some pins for outputs right?…

Death By A Thousand Vias v0.1

I was looking at some open source SBCs(Single Board Computers) online and found one called the BlueberryPi by a gentlemen named Marcel Thürmer. His board was built on the AllWinnerV3s SoC and was very well documented. After studying his board and the V3s documentation for some time(and finding a source for the elusive V3s), eventually I had my first board layout completed.


Admitingly I bit off more than I could chew with this design. It was way too much for a single layer board of this size. The design consisted of the V3s, two USB type C ports, 10100 Ethernet, and a SD card slot. I opted for a FT232RL for usb communication. True USB type C will auto negotiate power needs and is a really cool protocol. I might do a seperate post on just USB Type C. After fighting with the auto router for hours I realised this wasn’t going to work and got back to the drawing board.


Less Is More v0.2

It took me longer than I would like to admit to learn that the auto router is not a silver bullet solution for mapping traces in Eagle. I decided to ditch all of the fancy components and just wire up the V3s and power. This arrived at a messy yet completed board. The Tiger Lily SBC was born.


From here I iterated on the progress made and managed to clean up the design quite a bit. I had aspirations of eventually adding more supporting components and connectors but I was content with being able to prototype everything off of headers on the board. I sent this design over to oshpark and after a few weeks the boards arrived in the mail.


The quality on these boards was amazing and the gold on black finish looks great. Oshpark is a little on the pricey side but they do quality work and are also based in the US.


Unfortunately this is where the project stopped. I took a break from working on everything and before I knew it two years had passed by and the V3s is now obsolete. I absolutely would love to pick up this project again and utilize a more modern SOC and hardware. This was a great learning experience and as steep as a learning curve as it was I learned so much. Hopefully my failures will inspire someone else to make venture out of their comfort zone and make something cool. As always, thanks for reading!


comments powered by Disqus